ARS conducts research to develop and transfer solutions to agricultural problems of high national priority and provide information access and dissemination to:
- Ensure high-quality, safe food, and other agricultural products;
- Assess the nutritional needs of Americans;
- Sustain a competitive agricultural economy;
- Enhance the natural resource base and the environment;
- Provide economic opportunities for rural citizens, communities, and society as a whole; and
- Provide the infrastructure necessary to create and maintain a diversified workplace.